Runwood Homes resident scoops NAPA unsung hero award
Runwood Homes resident Wayne Fitzroy-Grayson of Windle Court care home in South Woodham Ferrers, Essex, has won NAPA’s (National Association for Providers of Activities for Older People) unsung hero award for 2021.
This award celebrates a person ‘behind the scenes’ at a care home who demonstrates great dedication to activity provision.
Runwood said Fitzroy-Grayson was nominated for the award by the then deputy manager of Windie Court for his enthusiasm and dedication in providing his fellow residents with a number of different activities and “going above and beyond to bring a smile to their faces”.
He runs his own art classes at the home for residents and will soon be starting jewellery making classes.
“Since joining Windle Court, Wayne has been encouraged to start painting again, having not done so for eight years. Now, he is proud to have his very own studio, where he can proudly show off his lovely artwork and hold his classes,” said a Runwood spokeswoman.
“To lift everyone’s spirits during the pandemic, Wayne also organised raffles to raise money to go towards the residents’ activities fund, where a very impressive £1000 was raised. The money was used to buy lovely items for residents, such as bubble lamps and light up musical instruments,” she added.
Fitzroy-Grayson said: “It’s all worthwhile just to get a smile which happens often. None of this could have happened had our management team and CTLs and carers and domestic staff not given me the encouragement to do so.”
Other 2021 NAPA awards winners include:
- Ben Cowley from Ty Enfys Care - Best Activity Provider Award
- Paul and Louise from Mill House Caring Homes - Best Activity Team Award
- The Activities Team at Blenheim House Majesticare - Moving and Grooving Award
- The Lifestyle and Wellbeing Team at Fremantle Court Fremantle Trust - Arts in Care Homes Award
- Athena Care Homes - Fundraiser of the Year
- Robert Speker from Sydmar Lodger - Grow Old Disgracefully Award
- Asa Johnson of Anchor Hanover - Personality of the Year Award
- April Dobson of Hallmark Carehomes - Leadership Award
- Chris Harding Daily Sparkle - Lifetime Achievement Award
- Hugh Dent – Service Recognition Award
NAPA aims to improve the quality of activities for older people, supporting the sector in prioritising wellbeing by promoting the importance of activity, arts and engagement.