Social Care Day of Remembrance and Reflection launched
Social care bodies across England have joined together to launch Social Care Day of Remembrance and Reflection honouring the work and lives of the adult social care workforce during the pandemic.
A total of 21 organisations supported by social care minister Helen Whately (pictured) have come together to launch the memorial day being held in March 2022.
An estimated 922 social care workers in England lost their lives between March 2020 and May 2021.
A Memorial Wall and Thank You Wall have been launched on The Care Workers’ Charity website where people can share tributes to care workers lost during the pandemic and say thank you to those who provided vital support.
Those behind the Social Care Day of Remembrance and Reflection request people to add their stories to the walls in the lead up to the day in March.
Other ways in which care providers, care workers, those who draw on care and support, and any other individual can participate on the day include planting a tree in honour of a lost care worker, having a minute’s silence, or creating a piece of art.
Further information on events that will take place on the day and how to get involved can be found on The Care Workers’ Charity website and will continue to be announced in the lead up to the day in March.
“The whole country recognises the bravery of the social care workforce, NHS staff and many others who put themselves at risk to save lives during this global pandemic,” said Whately.
“Our hearts go out to the families, friends and colleagues who have sadly lost loved ones and we will take this time to honour and remember them,” she added.
Find out more about Social Care Day of Remembrance and Reflection visit www.thecareworkerscharity.org.uk/covid-19-tribute/.
The full list of organisations backing the initiative is:
2. Association for Real Change
3. Associated Retirement Community Operators (ARCO)
4. Association of Mental Health Providers
5. Care Provider Alliance (CPA)
6. Care England
7. The Care Workers’ Charity
8. Local Government Association (LGA)
9. Learning Disability England
10. National Development Team for Inclusion
11. National Care Association
12. Research in Practice
13. Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE)
14. SOLACE (Society of Local Authority Chief Executives and Senior Managers)
15. UK Homecare Association (UKHCA)
16. Voluntary Organisations Disability Group (VODG)
17. Shared Lives Plus
18. Skills for Care
19. National Care Forum (NCF)
20. National Association of Care & Support Workers (NACAS)
21. British Association of Social Workers (BASW)