Music for Dementia celebrates the power of music this Carers Week
As part of Carers Week 2022 - taking place between 6-12 June - the Music for Dementia campaign is celebrating the transformative power of music for caregivers.
It is well established that music can play an important role in soothing some symptoms of dementia, including anxiety and agitation. Music for Dementia points out that these benefits extend to loved ones, support workers, and professional caregivers.
Music is an essential element of self-care for those who care for others, as it stimulates the production of dopamine - the ‘feel good’ hormone - and can help with sleep and relaxation.
For music to be an integral part of dementia care, carers need the right level of support and access to musical services. Music for Dementia aims to do just that during Carers Week by highlighting some of the support available.
Initiatives and services that support people living with dementia and their carers to experience the therapeutic benefits of music include:
- Musica Music’s Press Play to Rewind, which offers training to healthcare professionals through online courses and group coaching sessions.
- Playlist for Life offers free resources and support to carers in learning how personalised playlists could help a person live well with dementia.
- The Brain Charity’s Music Makes Us! offers workshops that combine singing with speech and language therapy and dance with physiotherapy.
- The Spitz Charitable Trust takes professional musicians into care homes, day centres, and hospitals.
- Together with Music connects care homes, community groups and schools through music.
Music for Dementia’s campaign director Grace Meadows said: “Carers Week is a focal point in the calendar when we can stop and celebrate the valuable work of carers. Music has many therapeutic benefits that can help carers to improve their own health and wellbeing and to manage the challenges and sometimes isolating experience of caring for someone living with dementia. That is one of the reasons why The Utley Foundation through Music for Dementia continues to fund a wide range of grassroots organisations to deliver musical services and support throughout the country. We proudly join with many during Carers Week to demonstrate our recognition of, value, and support for carers everywhere in the incredible work they do each and every day in supporting people living with dementia.”